Re: kerns of digits

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999 11:35:14 +0200 (MET DST), Thierry Bouche wrote:

>After all, the year 2011 is not so far, and it would be a shame to
>typeset it badly in opposition to the typographer's advice.

I have tried it out with Palatino, and my impression is,
that you will not notice the absence of kerning, unless you
know Adobe Palatino very well or can compare it with the kerned
version immediately.  Omitting the kerning does not produce
a result which is obviously "bad" or "faulty".

Maybe it's different with other typeface families.  As to the
"Base35" fonts, however, only Palatino has got a one-one kern
pair.

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999 11:37:55 -0600 (MDT), Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:

> However, these still have kerns on 1-1:
>
>    NewCenturySchlbk-Bold.afm
>    NewCenturySchlbk-BoldItalic.afm
>    NewCenturySchlbk-Italic.afm
>    NewCenturySchlbk-Roman.afm
>
>and those files contain "Comment Creation Date:" strings with dates
>in September-October 1989.

My afm's for NewCentury Schoolbook say

  "Creation Date: Tue May 28 16:31:51 1991"

and they do not contain the one-one ligature.  I suppose
this is the latest and most up-to-date version.

Best wishes

Walter