[XeTeX] Σχετ: Plain XeTeX, pdftitle, pdfinfo

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Mon Jul 11 22:33:36 CEST 2016

Hi Phil,

On Jul 12, 2016, at 3:15 AM, Philip Taylor <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk<mailto:P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk>> wrote:

Dear Ross (copy all) -- OK, I looked at the "pdfx" package and the first thing that surprised me was that the documentation file for it (http://mirrors.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/pdfx/pdfx.pdf), when inspected using Adobe Acrobat 7.1, fails the conformity check for PDF/X-1A:2003 on nine counts --

  1.  Annotation inside page area
  2.  Document contains actions
  3.  GTS_PDFXVersion key missing
  4.  OutputIntent for PDF/X missing
  5.  OutputIntent profile not "prtr"
  6.  PDF/X label missing or incorrect
  7.  TrimBox or ArtBox missing
  8.  Uses colour other than 4c or spot
  9.  Uses transparency

That document makes no claim to be conformant to any PDF/X standard.
Instead it is fully conformant with  PDF/A-2u — see image.

[cid:37198960-3EB2-4891-BAE6-48C83D2598F7]

The  pdfx  package is not just for producing PDF/X documents,
but documents for (most) of the various flavors of PDF/X, PDF/A
and PDF/E. (And partially for PDF/VT.)

This is explained in the documentation, where it says what it can do,
and also what it *does not* do, in this regard.

We supply PDF/A — for an archival version, with RGB monitor intent,
as this corresponds most appropriately to the purpose of the document.
It is a manual that will mostly be viewed and read online/onscreen.
It contains several screen-shots which are best read online where
one can zoom in to examine specific parts. The text is fully mapped
to Unicode, for easy searching and Copy/Paste.

It unlikely that it will be often printed to paper copy, though of course
this can still be done. But if so, exact specification of colors is then
not important to the intention of the document.

While some of these are explained by the fact that it is intended for web delivery rather than printing, it does not give one enormous confident that the package works as intended.

I think that you have assumed that it will do what *you* want it
to do, without having read the supplied documentation.
That is always a recipe for disappointment.

What I would therefore like, if this is possible, is for an example LaTeX source file that uses the "pdfx" package and generates fully compliant PDF/X-1A:2003 with Xe(La)TeX as  the typesetting engine.

Absolutely.
The package, once installed, comes with two example documents:

   sample.tex
   small2e-pdfx.tex

both of which can be customized by just (un-)commenting appropriate
source lines that load the  pdfx  package with different options,
corresponding to the different PDF standards and conformance levels.

Default color profiles, one for RGB (type ‘mntr' for monitors)
and one CMYK (type ‘prtr’ for printers) are included with the distribution.

If you have the most recent TeXLive 2016 installed,
you can find them this way:

ls /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex/pdfx/*.tex

This will list the 2 example documents,
as well as support files for other purposes:
  AdobeColorProfiles.tex
  AdobeExternalProfiles.tex
  glyphtounicode-cmr.tex
The purpose of these is documented.

 sample.tex  has an accompanying  sample.xmpdata  file,
which specifies some example Metadata.

 small2e-pdfx.sty  provides its  .xmpdata  file via
LaTeX’s  \begin{filecontents*}  mechanism to include it
as a subfile of the main file.

This latter technique makes it possible to supply the document
and its accompanying Metadata, all in a single file.
Read about it in the documentation.

This is very convenient if the Metadata does not change.
But if you do want to change it, then you need to be aware
of the  -shell-escape  option, and its security implications.
Again, discussed in the documentation.

To process the examples, copy
   sample.tex
   sample.xmpdata
   small2e-pdfx.tex
to a fresh directory.
These should then just work — provided the package is installed properly:
  pdflatex sample.tex
  pdflatex small2e-pdfx.tex
Do these 2-3 times to ensure any bookmarks and cross-references are resolved.

Having checked that these work, now you can start to play
with different package options, and different TeX engines.
Do *not* expect
      xelatex sample.tex
to just work out-of-the-box.
Read the documentation  pdfx.pdf  to learn of what is needed when using XeTeX
as the engine.

In particular I need it to generate OutputIntent with /Info other than (None) and OutputConditionIdentifier other than (Custom), so that I can see what a fully-compliant PDF/X-1A:2003 has in these metadata fields.  Also one that embeds an ICC color profile and XMP metadata.

The above-mentioned examples do this.
They are setup to be as simple as possible, provided the package is correctly
installed within a modern TeXLive installation.
MikTeX packages things differently. Find the examples in its  doc/  subtree.

If you do not use TeXLive or MikTeX, then download the complete  pdfx  package
from CTAN. Consult the documentation for help with installation.

If you (or any member of this list) has such a source file, I would be most grateful for a copy so that I can investigate the \specials necessary to accomplish all of these goals.

You probably have such examples already.

** Phil.
--
<Mail Attachment.jpeg>
Philip Taylor

Hope this helps.

Ross

Dr Ross Moore

Mathematics Dept | Level 2, S2.638 AHH
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia

T: +61 2 9850 8955  |  F: +61 2 9850 8114<tel:%2B61%202%209850%209695>
M:+61 407 288 255<tel:%2B61%20409%20125%20670>  |  E: ross.moore at mq.edu.au<mailto:rick.minter at mq.edu.au>

http://www.maths.mq.edu.au<http://mq.edu.au/>

[cid:image001.png at 01D030BE.D37A46F0]<http://mq.edu.au/>

CRICOS Provider Number 00002J. Think before you print.
Please consider the environment before printing this email.<http://mq.edu.au/>

This message is intended for the addressee named and may
contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed
in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
necessarily the views of Macquarie University.<http://mq.edu.au/>