[XeTeX] New feature REQUEST for xetex

Andrew Cunningham lang.support at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 06:21:03 CET 2016

Simon,

On 23 February 2016 at 14:12, Simon Cozens <simon at simon-cozens.org> wrote:

> On 23/02/2016 13:54, Andrew Cunningham wrote:
> > PDF/UA for instance leaves the question deliberately ambigious.
> > ActualText is the way to make the content accessible, but developers
> > creating tools for PDF do not actually have to process the ActualText.
>
> Yeah. (Sorry to keep banging the drum but) I've just done some tests
> with SILE, which includes some support for tagged/accessible PDFs. Even
> when the ActualText includes the correct Devanagari, I am still seeing
> the same problems with cut-and-paste. I'm not sure what needs to be done
> to get it right.

In terms of SILE ... supporting generation of other formats like XPS as an
alternative to PDF is probably the only way forward for complex script
languages.

If SILE is tagging the PDFs and adding ActualText attributes , then it is
doing everything it should be doing. The problems are with the PDF
specification itself, what it was originally designed to be (a pre-print
format based on the Postscript language) and the limitations placed on it
by the developers of the spec.

Andrew