[XeTeX] Problem with compling an xelatex file

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 13:31:27 CET 2012

On 3 December 2012 09:33, Sasi Kumar <sasi.fsf at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear friends,
>

> Minimal sample:

No, *this* is a minimal sample:

\documentclass{book}
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \setmainfont[Script=Malayalam]{Rachana}
> \usepackage[oldlipi]{omal}
> \begin{document}
> ഇതൊരു സാമ്പിള്‍ ഫയല്‍. ഇതൊരു സാമ്പിള്‍ ഫയല്‍. ഇതൊരു സാമ്പിള്‍ ഫയല്‍. ഇതൊരു
> സാമ്പിള്‍ ഫയല്‍. ഇതൊരു സാമ്പിള്‍ ഫയല്‍. ഇതൊരു സാമ്പിള്‍ ഫയല്‍. ഇതൊരു
> സാമ്പിള്‍ ഫയല്‍. ഇതൊരു സാമ്പിള്‍ ഫയല്‍. ഇതൊരു സാമ്പിള്‍ ഫയല്‍. ഇതൊരു
> സാമ്പിള്‍ ഫയല്‍. ഇതൊരു സാമ്പിള്‍
> ഫയല്‍. ഇതൊരു സാമ്പിള്‍ ഫയല്‍.
> \end{document}

As others have already said, use fontspec or polyglossia (the latter calls
fontspec, and adds some other nice language-handling stuff).  Don't use
inputenc or fontenc.  Fontspec and Polyglossia replace all that pre-unicode
stuff.

I don't have omal on my system, and I haven't time to explore what it does,
so I can't test that.  But

This input:

> \documentclass{book}
> \usepackage{polyglossia}
> \setmainfont[Script=Malayalam]{Rachana}
> \begin{document}
> ഇതൊരു സാമ്പിള്‍ ഫയല്‍. ഇതൊരു സാമ്പിള്‍ ഫയല്‍. ഇതൊരു സാമ്പിള്‍ ഫയല്‍. ഇതൊരു
> സാമ്പിള്‍ ഫയല്‍. ഇതൊരു സാമ്പിള്‍ ഫയല്‍. ഇതൊരു സാമ്പിള്‍ ഫയല്‍. ഇതൊരു
> സാമ്പിള്‍ ഫയല്‍. ഇതൊരു സാമ്പിള്‍ ഫയല്‍. ഇതൊരു സാമ്പിള്‍ ഫയല്‍. ഇതൊരു
> സാമ്പിള്‍ ഫയല്‍. ഇതൊരു സാമ്പിള്‍
> ഫയല്‍. ഇതൊരു സാമ്പിള്‍ ഫയല്‍.
> \end{document}

Gives this output:

[image: Inline images 2]

with fontshape warnings, but no actual errors.

Best,
Dominik