[XeTeX] Compatibility issues with ednotes and pstricks or TikZ

Keith J. Schultz keithjschultz at web.de
Fri Sep 23 10:19:22 CEST 2011

Hi Nathan, Vafa,

	TeX, LaTeX, Xe(La)TeX, Lua(La)Tex, etc come with a very steep learning curve.
	It was one of the reasons I stopped using LaTeX some 20 years ago.

	Also, back then the packages were not stable and conflicted with each other so if
	really needed something you had better do it yourself.

	THAT was THEN. Today, a lot has changed and become very stable and usable.
	Evenmore so, with the support of unicode.

	The problem is that there is NO MODERN Reference for LaTeX, Xe(La)TeX or Lua(La)TeX
	that is usable for finding packages for the simple user of TeX et.al. Even the all so famous
	LaTeX Companion is helplessly outdated. Believe, me! I had bought the latest available version of the
	Book. If I had not started delving into TeXLive via the show info  panel of the TeXLive utility,
	I would have given up on TeX, again.

	You have to avoid older packages as much as possible. Look for newer packages.
	Look carefully, at Koma Scripts and  Memoir, you can probably get more functionality by
	adapting from them.

	For Graphics, avoid ps-tricks, use some newer. TikZ and pgf are quite able and simple enough to learn
	and more packages are coming out that use them.

	 Vafa, have you tried asking the authors of the packages that you support(work around their short commings)
	to support, bidi or RTL. They are most likely not aware of the problems, because the designed their package
	only of LTR. Maybe you, can gather a group around you that will modify and update the other packages.
	KEEP UP THE SUPERB WORK.

	Sorry, I this is somewhat OT, to others.

	regards
		Keith.