[XeTeX] Persian verus Farsi

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 13 09:50:45 CEST 2011

Bombay/Mumbai is a bit of a puzzle (to me, at least).  As far as I know,
it's a Portuguese name originally ('good bay'), so what I take to be the
local pronunciation 'Mumbai' seems to be an approximation/corruption of that
rather than a reversion to an authentic original.  My friend there (born and
bred in the city) insists on using 'Bombay' (in conversation though not on
his business card, I notice) but I haven't ventured to probe the reasons.
Possibly some people there regard Mumbai as a vulgarization?  But I have no
command of Indic languages so someone may be able to put me right!

John