[XeTeX] Any progress on 16 open write file limit?

Daniel Greenhoe dgreenhoe at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 01:44:00 CET 2011

>> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl at gmail.com> wrote:
> You can install TL 2011 as any other TL release in parallel, and use
> then switching the PATH to appropriate release.

Nice idea --- thanks!

> I simply don't understand for what reason you need more than 16 openned files.

Just as most everything else in life, the answer is, I don't need it.
Just as many other things in life, the answer is, it can be useful.
Unlike programming languages (for example c) that work at a "base"
level, I don't explicitly initiate these writes. They can be initiated
by other packages (that are explicitly invoked by myself). For
example, the very useful (my opinion) graphics package {pgfplots}
initiates at least one write.

Thank you for your help!
Dan