[XeTeX] Any progress on 16 open write file limit?

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 00:49:52 CET 2011

Hello,
** Daniel Greenhoe [2011-12-15 07:47:03 +0800]:

> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Update you TeX system. This command relates with experimental package
>> (aka latex3).

> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Bruno Le Floch <blflatex at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Update the l3kernel bundle to the newest version

> OK, thanks! I am hoping to complete and deliver a major project this
> month, so I don't want to risk a major update to my Texlive system at
> this point; but I hope to test it next month.
You can install TL 2011 as any other TL release in parallel, and use
then switching the PATH to appropriate release. For example, on Windows
you have
C:/texlive/2010/bin/win32
C:/texlive/2011/bin/win32

To use TL 2010 run in cmd:
set PATH=C:/texlive/2010/bin/win32;%PATH%

or to use TL 2011:
set PATH=C:/texlive/2011/bin/win32;%PATH%

> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Why do you need separate files for each letter?
>> You have more than 65536 entries for each one?

> Thanks for the tip. However, the previously attached code is just a
> test bench --- that is, it demonstrates the problem and allows me to
> test a proposed solution to see if it can resolve the problem. The
> example happens to use the Latin alphabet as a kind of enumeration of
> the instances that cause the writes.
Ok, then may be there is another solution for your problem? I simply
don't understand for what reason you need more than 16 openned files. I
not familiar with TeX itself (ok, I will do investigation then) but in
other programming languages you could open a file for write, close it
and use again the freed resources.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
Till then we shall be content to admit openly, what you (religionists)
whisper under your breath or hide in technical jargon, that the ancient