[XeTeX] Fwd: New on CTAN: unicode-math

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 07:45:47 CEST 2010

Hello,

For those who have been interested in my unicode-math package, the first released version is now available on CTAN and will be included in TeX Live 2010. (See below.) It requires a very recent version of fontspec, which itself requires a few other updates to other packages; if you're not keen on updating packages manually (I'm not) then feel free to wait until it's included in your distribution.

This package provides similar functionality to Andrew Moschou's mathspec package, but goes further in providing access to symbols in the unicode maths range. You'll need a unicode maths font to access them, of course :) Asana Math is the best free option, otherwise Microsoft's Cambria Math is currently the gold standard.

Feedback most welcome!

Best regards,
Will

From: CTAN Announcements <ctan-ann at dante.de>
Subject: New on CTAN: unicode-math

the daemon perks up with the appearance of the following (which he had
previously imagined to be a myth concocted by people on the net):

The following information was provided by the package's contributor.

Name of contribution: unicode-math
Author's name: Will Robertson
Location on CTAN: macros/latex/contrib/unicode-math
Summary description: Unicode math support for XeTeX and LuaTeX
License type: lppl

Announcement text given by the package's contributor:
Well, I guess it's now or never. With an archive of emails about the
thing going back to 2006, I think it's finally time to release this
package. (Sorry about the hold-up, really.)

This is the initial release of the unicode-math package for inclusion
in TeX Live 2010. It is designed to typeset mathematics with unicode
input and using OpenType math fonts. (There is very very little
compatibility with older maths packages.) XeTeX support is fully
tested but LuaTeX not quite so much. (At least the example file
runs...)

You can typeset with the STIX fonts with the present version of the
package, but there is no support yet for its extra alphabets in the
Unicode `private use area'. I hope to add support for them soon.

Thanks to all the people who've provided valuable feedback over the
years, and especially to Barbara Beeton for laying the foundations
with her work with the STIX fonts.

Good luck; I hope it works. Let me know if it doesn't. Finally, this
package is by no means complete (it's called the "initial release" for
a reason). Your feedback and suggestions now are greatly
appreciated. Anyone coming along to the TUG 2010 conference will have
the opportunity to hear me speak about it in a couple of weeks. (But
will I be able to muster up a full 30 minutes? Actually, yeah, I
probably will.)

Time for a beer.

have a good one!

i have installed the package and created an entry in the catalogue
repository.

Users may view the package catalogue entry at
http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/unicode-math.html
or they may browse the package directory at
http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/unicode-math

though, of course, the catalogue entry won't appear on the web until
some time tonight.

Robin Fairbairns

For the CTAN team

-- Will