[XeTeX] embedding fonts

Michiel Kamermans pomax at nihongoresources.com
Fri Jun 4 16:34:35 CEST 2010

hh,

> Of course I'm aware that some fonts are available at most as subsets as they are protected
> by the owners.  But anyway, there should be an option to embed the full font if possible.
> Also the standard fonts (e.g. Helvetica) should be embedded, bacause there are just too many version around.

Indeed, although for ensuring the font data is the right font's you can
normally rely on subsetting already. Xe(La)TeX+xdvipdfmx handles that
quite well in my experience.

> I use Adobe CS4 suite on XP. Strange enough in the older versions one could at least choose in the Distiller for full embedding, but not anymore (don't know if it would have helped). And I do not know what to change in xdvipdfmx to change the behaviour there.

I still use Acrobat 8 (9 simply hasn't come with anything worth
upgrading for), but I never checked whether its distiller will do full
font embedding for already generated pdf files (and I'm not going to use
XeLaTeX to generate anything but pdf files). For any casual editing
(manually setting document properties, swapping some pages in/out, etc)
I use acrobat, but for real work like swapping out subset fonts for full
fonts --or automated metadata manipulation-- there's only one option,
and it's called Ghostscript. It has a bit of a learning curve, but it's
about as powerful as it gets when it comes to manipulating every aspect
of a pdf file.

- Mike