[XeTeX] XeLaTex and Armenian

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 14 21:52:21 CEST 2010

> But don't you still need markup (perhaps implicit using  interchartoks) to
>switch
>
>hyphenation routines (or different spacings or  whatever) for the different
>languages? Then
>
>it doesn't matter if you  need to  switch font features or not since other
>things are happening  anyway.

Good point, but when one prepares a multilingual document, it is important to
produce something
that looks homogeneous (or at least that's the word I would use in Greek).
Recently,
an Italian friend published his PhD dissertation. His work was about a Greek
engineer that
lived in the Roman times. Naturally, the text has many Greek passages while the
main language
of the text is Italian. He used XeLaTeX to prepare his text and of course it was
a natural
choice for him and his publisher to use the same font for both Greek and
Italian. As for
the hyphenation, we did a trick: he used only the Italian rules which were
"augmented" with
the Greek ones. This was a quick hack, but he did not want to try "tricks". In
addition, all Greeks
who write bilingual or multilingual texts, always use the same fonts. Finally,
the people who
wrote an armenian LaTeX package (it is documented in our "Digital Typography
Using LaTeX"),
have created Armenian fonts using Knuth's fonts as a basis for the reason
explained above.
So in practice, people do not change fonts between scripts. If this does not
apply to Arabic or
Hebrew, is something I do not know.

Regards,
A.S.