[XeTeX] [OT] Free fonts for fontspec examples?

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Jul 13 14:40:57 CEST 2010

Will Robertson wrote:

> Please ask if it looks like I've missed adding a feature in fontspec;
> chances are I need to add code or documentation or both to the package.

A somewhat na\"\i ve question, if I may ?  Reading the Fontspec manual,
fairly early on I see :

> The fontspec package allows users of either X ETEX or LuaTEX to load OpenType
> fonts in a LATEX document. No font installation is necessary, and font features can
> be selected and used as desired throughout the document.

My question concerns the phrase "in a LATEX document".  Does Fontspec
also support non-LaTeX usage of XeTeX, and in particular, is it
possible to use Fontspec successfully entirely within the Plain XeTeX
framework ?

Philip Taylor