[XeTeX] [OT] Free fonts for fontspec examples?

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 15:56:48 CEST 2010

On 2010-07-13 21:50:50 +0930, David Perry
<hospes.primus at verizon.net> said:

> Sure, or cv01 (like ss01) if you implement the short tags.  Fontspec is
> unusual in that it lets (actually, requires) users to request stylistic
> alternates by number.  Most programs present the alternates visually in
> a character palette.

Well, there's not really an alternative, right? :)

> So for XeTeX users, from one point of view,
> there's no advantage to having the cvXX option available.  However, I
> think having cvXX might help interchange of data with other software.

Hang on, aren't the cv0x "just more" OpenType features in the same
style as ss01 but targeting individual characters specifically? So if a
font contains alternates accessed wth cv0x features, then we have to
offer them for fontspec users to be able to use those glyphs.

But I agree with the general sentiment that numerical features aren't
very user-friendly for a batch system like LaTeX.