[XeTeX] babel or polyglossia?

Benjamin Koppe Benjamin.Koppe at gmx.de
Mon Oct 19 22:35:37 CEST 2009

Hi,
I just thought about dropping the use of packeges ngerman and/or babel
and switch to polyglossia, as this seems to be the better choice
around xetex. Somehow I could not get German quotation marks working.
Usually there is either the \glqq and \grqq commands, or rather the
shortcuts "`and "'
Neither of them works with

\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setdefaultlanguage[spelling=new,babelshorthands]{german}

Are the quotation marks handled with another package? Or is there any
reason to drop babel (actually I just felt like being up to date to
switch, can't yet see a big reason).

Thank you
De Benny