[XeTeX] lacking precomposed character

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Mon May 18 21:37:09 CEST 2009

Hello Artemij

As an interim measure (until an elegant solution is suggested), you can set the non-zero-width macron (positiong 00AF) on top of the schwa thus:

\def\overstrike#1#2{\setbox0=\hbox{#1}\setbox1=\hbox{#2}\copy0

   \kern -0.5\wd0 \kern -0.5\wd1 \copy1 \kern -0.5\wd1 \kern 0.5\wd0}

\overstrike{ə}{¯}

Of course that is tedious to type, so, after defining \overstrike as above, you can use something like

\def\ə{\overstrike{ə}{¯}}

Then for the schwa with macron just type {\ə} or simply \ə if you don't mind adding a space after it in the middle of a word, and an explicit space (\ ) after it if it comes at the end of a word (personally I prefer {\ə}so one doesn't have to think about the following space).

This isn't very nice but it might help if you are in a hurry to get through some piece of work, and you can search and replace on it afterwards when something better is suggested.

Best

John