[XeTeX] xdv to rtf, docx, or OpenOffice?

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 8 19:07:22 CET 2009

On 8 Mar 2009, at 17:13, Tara Andrews wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 9:50 AM, Jonathan Kew
> <jfkthame at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think one or more of the LaTeX-to-HTML routes out there can also
>> be used
>> with xelatex documents, at least to some extent, and presumably
>> Word can
>> then open the HTML and Save As its own format.
>
> What tools are these?  This is just the sort of thing I'm looking for,
> and although I can find a bunch of dvi -> html things, I have no idea
> how to work out which ones will work with xelatex / xdv.

I hope someone on the list can make suggestions, as I've never
actually used anything like that. I seem to recall there's been
previous discussion of the topic, and I thought there was some kind of
solution around -- not via .xdv, but directly from (xe)latex -> html.
I may be mistaken, though.

> All sorts of stupid little reasons actually.  You'd be surprised.  At
> the moment when I know I'm going to need something in Word I usually
> type it up in a text editor and then copy/paste it over.  For
> instance, copy/paste is the only way I can get the [ character in any
> Word document,

It sounds to me like what you really need is some help in sorting out
Word and/or system/keyboard/font setup issues. It should be perfectly
well able to cope with that, as well as with whatever transcription
characters you need, etc.

On 8 Mar 2009, at 17:16, Tara Andrews wrote:

> The main specific problem I have with the transcription characters is
> that, when pasting them from a UTF-8 text file into Word, they get
> corrupted.

Are you perhaps using old, non-Unicode-compliant fonts for these
"transcription characters", either in Word or in whatever you're
trying to copy/paste from? You haven't given specifics of the fonts,
etc., but this doesn't sound like normal behavior.