[XeTeX] Bug report: How to use Chinese Font HYCuSongJ in XeTeX? (mathmhb at gmail)

mathmhb@gmail mathmhb at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 14:11:54 CEST 2009

hi, everyone,

It seems that nobody care my question on using Chinese font HYCuSongJ.

I need to re-raise this question since I doubt that this may be a bug of
XeTeX.

The font HYCuSongJ is a valid TTF file and it can be displayed in Windows
quite well.

However, I cannot use it in XeTeX like using other normal Chinese fonts
although fc-cache can correctly recognize this font.

It may be a bug of XeTeX. If any of you can check this font carefully and
tell me why, I would appreciate your time and efforts. Thanks!

mathmhb

How to use Chinese Font HYCuSongJ in XeTeX? (mathmhb at gmail)

Hi, does any one know how to use Chinese TTF HYCuSongJ in XeTeX?

This chinese font can be downloaded from
http://www.flyupload.com/?fid=836890169

The test tex file (utf-8 encoded) can be downloaded from
http://www.flyupload.com/?fid=550275384

I have run fc-cache to cache this TrueType font. Here is the corresponding
font info by fc-list:

?????,HYCuSongJ:style=regular

If I use the Chinese font name in \setromanfont{...}, I got an error like

kpathsea: Invalid fontname `????????', contains '?
! Font \zf at basefont=???????? at 12.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM)
file or installed font not found.

If I use the English font name HYCuSongJ in \setromanfont{...}, the xetex
engine will automatically invoke "mktextfm HYCuSongJ", which of course
fails.

I have tried my other chinese fonts, all of them except HYCuSongJ work
well. I wonder whether anybody can explain how to use HYCuSongJ in XeTeX.
Many thanks!