[XeTeX] Egyptian hieroglyphs in XeTeX

Benct Philip Jonsson bpj at melroch.se
Tue Aug 25 21:11:41 CEST 2009

David Perry skrev:

> Benct Philip Jonsson wrote:

> [not a fan of Unicode hieroglyphics]

I didn't say that. I just pointed out why there will
not be any russh towards reproducing ancient texts in
facsimile, or toward producing fonts for that purpose.

> (I do realize there are significant issues of standardization,
> but if those had not been sufficiently addressed I doubt that
> the Unicode Technical Committee would have approved the
> proposal.)

That's precisely the problem: creating an image of
standardization where none exited in ancient times.
For the reproduction of linguistic content is no
facsimile is needed, and for discussing the actual marks
in MSS facsimile is not sufficient.

/BP