[XeTeX] Egyptian hieroglyphs in XeTeX

David Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Tue Aug 25 17:32:53 CEST 2009

Benct Philip Jonsson wrote:
[not a fan of Unicode hieroglyphics]

Two points:

1. Whether we like it or not, Unicode has decided to do hieroglyphs.
XeTeX is one of the very few ways to make use of them in the near
future.  So it's nice if we can help people who want to try.  We make no
progress if nobody pushes the envelope, as the original poster realized
he would be doing.

2. I think there is a chicken and egg problem here.  Yes, scholars have
transliterated in the past; what choice did they have?  The technology
was not available to reproduce hieroglyphics or cuneiform with any ease.
     Now it's time to move forward.  (I do realize there are significant
issues of standardization, but if those had not been sufficiently
addressed I doubt that the Unicode Technical Committee would have
approved the proposal.)

David