[XeTeX] Polyglossia does not exist for Kannada - XeLaTex

Sreenivasa Guttal sreenivasa.guttal at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 18:44:53 CEST 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 8:31 PM, Jonathan Kew <jfkthame at googlemail.com>wrote:

> On 17 Apr 2009, at 15:43, Sreenivasa Guttal wrote:
>
> > Interestingly, these problems dont happen without the changes I did
> > for hyphenation (adding hyphenation patterns for kannada - refer
> > attached files in my earlier mail).
> >
> > Does this point to some specification in hyphenation file?
>

> I don't have time to do in-depth checking of your files, but as a
> general rule, it's a good idea to examine and fix the first error TeX
> reports, and see if that helps -- often, subsequent errors are a
> result of an earlier one.
>
> In your log file, the first error seems to be:
>
>        ! Missing number, treated as zero.
>        <to be read again>
>                           {
>        l.42 \defaulthyphenchar={
>
>        ?
>
> This is pretty clear. \defaulthyphenchar is a TeX parameter that
> expects a number; you haven't given it one. The usual value would be
> 45, or "2D if you prefer to specify it in hex -- the character code of
> the ASCII hyphen character. I'd be surprised if you have a reason to
> change this.
>
> Fix that first error, and quite likely it'll affect what follows, too.

Thanks for your time.

I included defaulthyphenchar definition as the hyphenation character was not
getting displayed. In that sense, the first error is same as the one I have
pasted earlier or the next error you in the log. I am not able to debug this
error and also don' t know how to make the hyphen character display.

Appreciate your further help.

Regards,
Sreenivasa