[XeTeX] Polyglossia does not exist for Kannada - XeLaTex

Yves Codet ycodet at club-internet.fr
Thu Apr 9 20:25:44 CEST 2009

Hello.

Le 9 avr. 09 à 16:50, Sreenivasa Guttal a écrit :

> I will create them, but would be nice if there is some
> documentation on how this should be done. If not, some hints in
> that direction would be of great help.

Not knowing Kannada, I don't know the answer to the following
question: does Kannada use mere phonetical patterns or etymological
patterns?

In the first case, things are pretty simple. You might want to reuse
the Kannada block in hyph-sa.tex (attached below). It is meant for
Sanskrit written in Kannada script, but if Kannada also follows
phonetical patterns most rules should be the same. The syntax is
simple too:
--- 1 means "you may break in this position";
--- 2 means "you may not break in this position";
--- . means "beginning of word" before a character or a sequence of
characters, "end of word" after a character or a sequence of characters.
Of course, you may have to delete some rules which apply in Sanskrit
but not in Kannada, or to add some rules which apply in Kannada but
not in Sanskrit.

In the second case, it is much more work. You will have to use
patgen, about which you will find informations here:
	http://www.tug.org/docs/liang/
It means you need a Kannada electronic text (as long as possible, to
have as many word forms as possible), from which you will create a
list of word forms (a way to do this is to convert each space to an
end-of-line character, then to use "sort -u"); you will have to
hyphenate those word forms manually, then to run patgen on the list
to create hyphenation patterns. But since patgen does not support
Unicode, you will have to use some kind of ASCII representation of
Kannada, and to convert the resulting patterns into Unicode. There is
an opatgen, which supports Unicode, but it does not seem to work that
well.

Best wishes,

Yves