[XeTeX] Font sizes and line spacings

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Tue May 20 09:41:30 CEST 2008

On 20/05/2008, at 4:08 PM, Meho R. wrote:

> Still, remains the question: how to set font at specific size (e.g.
> how to set main font to Adobe Garamond Pro at exactly 13pt)? I tried
> to make some simple calculation, but results aren't consistent.
> Please correct me if I'm doing it wrong:
>
> – I set "12pt" option to \documentclass to get font at 12pt. No
> Scale option for main font (\fontspec).
> – I set "10pt" option to \documentclass and Scale={1.2} to \fontspec
> to get font at 12 pt. The two results aren't similar. Somehow, the
> latter gives wider text and a little larger font. So, I guess that I
> can't get exact size for a font this way.

Article is set up to change the width of the lines with different
document font sizes so that you don't get a line with too many
characters; a smaller font size gives a smaller text width.

There isn't an "easy" way to get a 13pt document, because you need to
define the sizes of \small, \large, and so on as well. Unfortunately
the FAQ answer on this question isn't very helpful: <http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=extsizes
 >, which says:

> The proper response to such a requirement is to produce a new design
> for the document, but many people don’t fancy doing that.

Look for the file
   /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size12.clo
(or where-ever it is in your distribution) for an idea of the
parameters that are changed by adjusting the font size.

I'd say your best bet is to either choose [12pt] and scale the font up
in fontspec, or use the extsizes bundle to get [14pt] and scale the
font down, depending on how you want your document to look.

Hope this helps,
Will