[XeTeX] public xelatex.fmt

maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Wed Jun 4 22:04:12 CEST 2008

Bruno Voisin wrote:
> Of course, as pointed out by Jonathan, you may have shell
> initialization files adding another layer by redefining some of these
> environment variables, like TEXINPUTS. Unless you really know what
> you're doing, I would advise FWIW against this: the default setup in
> texmf.cnf is flexible enough for most cases.

I said in my earlier msg that we had decided to get rid of the env var
TEXINPUTS, and just use the info in the texmf.cnf file.

But now I remember why I had set the TEXINPUTS env var last year: we need
to tell xe(la)tex to look at an additional set of dirs, which are provided
by dblatex.  (We're creating our xetex input files from DocBook files
using dblatex.)

Specifically, I want to add
   /groups/tools/dblatex-0.2.9/latex//
to the directories that the TEXINPUTS setting inside texmf.cnf supplies.
And I'm not sure how to do that, except by the method that got me in
trouble in the first place: setting TEXINPUTS in my .bashrc.

AFAIK, the texmf.cnf is not a file that is read during bootup or login, so
there is no initial TEXINPUTS setting to which I could add this dblatex
directory.  That is, I can't do
   TEXINPUTS=$TEXINPUTS:/groups/tools/dblatex-0.2.9/latex//
in my .bashrc file.  And I don't see any command-line parameter on Xetex
that would allow me to add an additional directory.

So is there a clean way to add an additional directory to the TEXINPUTS?

   Mike Maxwell
   CASL/ U MD