[XeTeX] public xelatex.fmt

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jun 4 21:02:23 CEST 2008

On 4 Jun 2008, at 7:51 pm, maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu wrote:

> Bruno Voisin wrote:
>> Of course, as pointed out by Jonathan, you may have shell
>> initialization files adding another layer by redefining some of these
>> environment variables, like TEXINPUTS. Unless you really know what
>> you're doing, I would advise FWIW against this: the default setup in
>> texmf.cnf is flexible enough for most cases.
>
> Yes, that seems to be the secret.  Not sure why I set my TEXINPUTS
> environment var in the first place; that was nearly a year ago, and my
> memory is not that long these days.
>
> So we're starting over without that environment variable, and we'll
> see
> where it goes.
>
> I also had the ff. two env vars set:
>    TEXLIVE=/groups/tools/texlive/2007
>    TEXMFMAIN=/groups/tools/texlive/2007/texmf
> I assume the first one is still necessary,

I don't think so. AFAIK, all that's normally needed is to ensure that
the appropriate platform subdirectory of texlive/2007/bin is in your
PATH (probably good to put it at the beginning, if there's any risk
you might have older versions of tex-related stuff anywhere else).

The executables are found on the PATH, they look for texmf.cnf
relative to their own location, and then everything else is found
based on the paths specified in that file. So get the PATH right and
don't confuse the programs with other environment settings, and it
should all "Just Work".