[XeTeX] Problems with polyglossia

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Thu Jan 31 16:50:58 CET 2008

Bert Trüger wrote :
> i am using texlive on Debian Sid. Polyglossia is installed to my user
> directory ~/.texmf/tex/xelatex/polgylossia. I regenerated the
> hyphenfiles for xelatex with: xetex -ini -etex -jobname=xelatex
> latex.ltx and copied xelatex.fmt to ~/.texmf-var/web2c. Now i get
> ancient greek hyphenation with the xgreek-package, but not with
> polyglossia.
>
> When i try to compile this minimal example:
> <...>
> i get lots of errors:
>
> [XeLaTeX] GreekHyphen.tex (xelatex)
> [XeLaTeX] finished with exit status 1
> /home/sirch/.texmf/tex/xelatex/polyglossia/gloss-english.ldf:0: No
> hyphenation patterns were loaded for `English'(polyglossia) I will use
> the patterns loaded for \language=0(polyglossia) instead.
> /home/sirch/.texmf/tex/xelatex/polyglossia/gloss-english.ldf:8:Undefined
> control sequence. \adddialect
> <...>

I suspect the problem is with the format you have generated, not with
polyglossia! Have a close look at the log file that was produced when
you ran xetex -ini and check whether Babel's hyphen.cfg
(.../texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel/hyphen.cfg) was loaded or not. BTW, on
my system the hyphenation files for Greek that were compiled in the
format are:

(/opt/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/generic/xu-hyphen/xu-grphyph4.tex
(/opt/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/generic/xu-hyphen/utf8-grphyph4.tex
UTF-8 hyphenation patterns for Modern, Polytonic Greek))
\l at polygreek=\language22
\l at monogreek=\language23

(/opt/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/generic/xu-hyphen/xu-grmhyph4.tex
(/opt/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/generic/xu-hyphen/utf8-grmhyph4.tex
UTF-8 hyphenation patterns for Modern Greek))
\l at ancientgreek=\language24

(/opt/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/generic/xu-hyphen/xu-grahyph4.tex
(/opt/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/generic/xu-hyphen/utf8-grahyph4.tex
UTF-8 hyphenation patterns for Ancient Greek))

But your problem may be more general than that.

François