[XeTeX] Using tipa.sty with XeLaTeX

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Sep 11 11:54:40 CEST 2007

Am 11.09.2007 um 00:25 schrieb Ross Moore:

> I'm no expert, but it seems from Arthur's message that IPA itself
> draws no distinction between ezh and yogh .

This might be caused by Unicode 1. Then they mixed up yogh and ezh.
Both glyphs come from different edges of Europe. Ezh is a Latin
(Roman) character, a chiselled z with the lower horizontal line
substituted with a leftwards open ring. Yogh comes from Ireland or
Scotland and is some hundred years younger, and rounder, being part
of uncial or half-uncial scripts. It is related to LATIN SMALL LETTER
INSULAR G (U+1D79) or the chiselled ounce symbol (OUNCE SIGN, U
+2125). Yogh lives in an English word like to cough (while in through
or night it's dead). To me yogh is more U+021C/U+021D. Half-uncial's
g also looked like yogh – or 3.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Windows, c'est un peu comme le beaujolais nouveau: à chaque nouvelle
cuvée on sait que ce sera dégueulasse, mais on en prend quand même,
par masochisme.