[XeTeX] XeLaTeX and graphics

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Oct 18 18:03:17 CEST 2007

On 18 Oct 2007, at 4:52 pm, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> Should I get in touch with the folks that support the epstopdf
> package? That package should (using --shell-escape) let the graphicx
> package create a pdf of the eps file, if one doesn't already exist,
> and then include the pdf file. It seem to fail when using xelatex and
> I suspect that the package is doing ``driver sniffing'' and doesn't
> support xetex.

Sure, feel free to follow up on this. (I presume you checked that you
have --shell-escape enabled in your xelatex engine or equivalent?) It
would be nice to have such packages work out-of-the-box.

I believe another possible approach is to just pass the .eps filename
on to the driver, and configure xdvipdfmx to use a distiller (e.g.,
ghostscript) on the fly; there's a setting in the dvipdfmx.cfg file
for this. It might not be enabled by default. And I guess you'd have
to add .eps to the list of extensions with a new graphics rule.
(Sorry, I don't remember the details of this stuff.)