[XeTeX] "Missing" system fonts

John Smith jds10 at cam.ac.uk
Thu May 24 19:59:20 CEST 2007

I recently switched from Linux to Mac OS X Tiger, and I assumed my
XeTeX setup would make the same journey without two much hassle. By
and large this has proved to be true, but there is a single mystifying
exception.

I make heavy use of five OpenType typefaces of my own creation, which
allow me to handle the often very complex accented characters needed
for Indian languages in Roman transliteration (marvels such as "r" +
combining ring below + combining macron + combining acute). These
fonts can be found at

  http://bombay.indology.info/software/fonts/induni/index.html

There are lookalikes for Times, New Century Scoolbook, Palatino,
Helvetica and Courier (they are based on the freeware fonts released
by URW++).

All five typefaces are installed on my MacBook Pro. All five appear in
FontBook. All five are usable within Word. The first three work fine
with XeteX. But if I try to use the Helvetica or Courier fonts, XeTeX
tells me it cannot find them:

  ! Font \bigrm=Courier_IndUni at 15.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file
  or installed font not found.
  <to be read again>
                     \font
  \usecourier ...igrm ="Courier_IndUni" at15pt\font
                                                    \bigit
						    ="Courier_IndUni-Ob...
  l.31 \usecourier

-- and so forth.

Obviously there is no TFM file; but the fonts are installed, and the
XeTeX macro is using the correct names for them. Any ideas what might
be happening?

John Smith

--
Dr J. D. Smith