[XeTeX] "Missing" system fonts

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Fri May 25 08:59:26 CEST 2007

I'm a novice with XeTeX (on Windows) and haven't yet worked out the niceties
of font access, but I have found that fonts I haven't installed on my
system, or fonts which XeTeX seems to be having trouble locating, can be
accessed by going directly to the font file and putting square brackets
round the name (as in the documentation), e.g.

\font\outlinefont = [d:/temp/MinionPro-Regular] at  14pt

It also works if you use the font's file name (minus extension).  For
example, a doctored version of Minion that I sometimes employ, on my system
(file xxmir.pfb with the associated .pfm etc. files in the same directory),
can be accessed with:

\font \jwfont = [d:/texfiles/psfonts/xxmir] at  14pt

I've no idea if that will work on the Mac (though it's fairly clear to me
that I won't get off the ground properly with XeTeX till I get a Mac!)

Best

John