[XeTeX] XeTeX and Windows XP

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue May 15 17:32:16 CEST 2007

On 15 May 2007, at 9:14 am, John Was wrote:

> Hello Jonathan
>
> Well that's what I thought but I must be missing something - the
> documentation might be on the installation somewhere but I haven't
> found it.
> I did locate xetex.exe which gave me the TeX prompt in a command
> box, and I
> typeset a simple ASCII file.  When I tried to do the same with a
> Unicode
> Text file it typeset it but with hundreds of missing character
> messages in
> the log - not surprising since without any font calls the text is
> set in CM
> roman.  I have not yet discovered how one actually calls a Unicode
> font,

For a Latin-script text with accented characters, etc., you should be
able to do something like

   \font\tnr = "Times New Roman" at 12pt
   \tnr Hello world...

and all the Unicode characters provided by the Windows TNR font
should work. Similarly for whatever other fonts you have on your XP
machine.

(That's the most basic "plain" approach; for LaTeX, the fontspec
package is unquestionably the way to go.)

I'm afraid I can't advise about interfaces, etc., on Windows, but I'm
sure others can....