[XeTeX] XeTeX and Windows XP

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Tue May 15 17:14:18 CEST 2007

Hello Jonathan

Well that's what I thought but I must be missing something - the
documentation might be on the installation somewhere but I haven't found it.
I did locate xetex.exe which gave me the TeX prompt in a command box, and I
typeset a simple ASCII file.  When I tried to do the same with a Unicode
Text file it typeset it but with hundreds of missing character messages in
the log - not surprising since without any font calls the text is set in CM
roman.  I have not yet discovered how one actually calls a Unicode font,
sets up the directory structure so that it knows where one keeps one's fonts
and .TEX files, or indeed how to get a decent TeX interface out of the
TexLive distribution - but possibly when I've clicked enough buttons and
worked through a few dozen more README files I might get there.  It's the
usual TeX curse that everybody seems to assume all users are up to speed
with KPathsee and all that stuff.  I've been shielded from it for years by
simply transferring my EmTeX installation with 4AllTeX interface from one
computer to another, so (as an end user and occasional macro writer as
opposed to a programming expert) I'm rather at sea.  I think I once had the
relevant knowledge but it's long since got buried....

No doubt it'll all be up and running before too long, though I suspect it'll
not be through the opacities of the TeXLive distribution (which I installed
in the 'complete' version) but through Akira Kakuto's set-up, which seems
excellent.

Best

John