[XeTeX] Printers & PDFs created by XeTeX

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Jul 24 16:51:44 CEST 2007

Le 24 juil. 07 à 16:30, Nikola Lecic a écrit :

> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 18:01:37 +0400
> Evgenie Medvedev <medvedev at project7.ru> wrote:
>
>> 	Uh... I'm not in the US, so that's probably out. :) Guess
>> I'll try to figure out how GhostScript works instead. It might be
>> there's way to turn a TIFF into a PDF through commandline GhostScript
>> too, I suppose, which will probably be better than ImageMagick.
>
> What about this?
>
>   http://www.remotesensing.org/libtiff/
>
> The binaries it provides are: bmp2tiff, fax2ps, fax2tiff, gif2tiff,
> pal2rgb, ppm2tiff, ras2tiff, raw2tiff, rgb2ycbcr, thumbnail, tiff2bw,
> tiff2pdf, tiff2ps, tiff2rgba, tiffcmp, tiffcp, tiffdither, tiffdump,
> tiffinfo, tiffmedian, tiffset, tiffsplit.

I can confirm the usefulness of libtiff, having used tiff2ps to
convert pictures from TIFF (format required by a publisher for
greyscale bitmaps) to EPS to PDF (required by pdfTeX and xdvipdfmx).

ImageMagick's convert is an alternative of course, but I've always
had problems with it: in my experience ImageMagick's output exhibits
a markedly "bitmapped" appearance, caused apparently by converting
everything to bitmaps before processing. If you master all the
options of ImageMagick you can probably get high-quality output by
employing the appropriate option flags to get a bitmap at exactly the
required resolution. It being not my case, I've always got more
satisfactory output by using more specialized tools such as libbtiff.

FWIW,

Bruno Voisin