[XeTeX] \font syntax

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Aug 1 17:41:38 CEST 2007

Le 31 juil. 07 à 17:24, Taco Hoekwater a écrit :

> Hans and I would be very pleased with a slightly different syntax
>
>    \XeTeXfont \serp =
>         name "Serpentine"        % and/or file "sspt____"
>         renderer "ICU"  at 12pt  % all k/v in arbitrary order
>         \relax                   % \relax terminates scanning
>
> Because that way, the luatex executable could have a primitive
> \luatexfont that converts the whole spec blindly into a lua table
> (dictionary) for script processing.

FWIW given I'm no programmer and couldn't contribute a single line of
code, the following is just from a user perspective:

- The above sounds very nice. In particular, it would allow making
fontname and "fontname" equivalent, as is usual practice in (pdf)TeX
as pointed out by Hans, with "fontname" allowing spaces in font (and
file) names.

- Compared with the syntax of other primitive or plain TeX commands,
it could not find any other example of mandatory \relax for ending up
a command argument. I'm not sure what the "standard" TeX practice
would be in such a case. Maybe

    \XeTeXfont \serp = {          % opening brace starts font
specification
         name "Serpentine"        % and/or file "sspt____"
         renderer "ICU"  at 12pt  % all k/v in arbitrary order
         }                        % closing brace ends font
specification

This is remotely similar to the syntax of \everypar, for example. But
it doesn't feel as elegant as the syntax of usual primitive or plain
TeX commands, though.

Bruno Voisin