[XeTeX] No Unicode mapping available: GID=

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Sep 2 20:57:47 CEST 2006

On 2 Sep 2006, at 7:42 pm, Joshua Grauman wrote:

> I get these errors from xdvipdfmx under Linux using the SIL Ezra font.
> Does this mean my utf-8 text has unicode characters that my font
> does not
> have?

No. That would result in "there is no character <XX> in font <YY>"
messages in the .log file when you run xetex (provided
\tracinglostchars is positive). They'll also show in the terminal if
\tracingonline is positive.

> Is the GID the decimal value of the unicode character that is
> missing?

No, it's the glyph ID in the truetype font (a purely internal number).

These messages mean that your output includes some glyphs for which
xdvipdfmx was not able to determine a corresponding Unicode character
for the CMap resource in the PDF file. Therefore, although it should
still look fine, these characters may be missing if you try to copy-
and-paste text from the PDF.

As this is a pretty hit-and-miss affair anyhow, except with the
simplest fonts/scripts/PDFs, it's best to regard PDF as a view-and-
print medium, not a text interchange format.

JK