[XeTeX] Bibtex and Xelatex problems

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Tue Oct 25 14:33:28 CEST 2005

25/10/2005, 9pm - Bernd wrote:

> thank you, I really should include fontspec before I complain. Now
> it works absolutely fine, what font uses Xetex as default? I use
> Arial Unicode MS now, which also has all the goodies in it.

Good to hear it's all fixed now. It's not essential that you use
fontspec, of course, but if you want to use LaTeX and set up the
document fonts without hassle, then I guess it's really your only
option :)

XeTeX loads Plain TeX and LaTeX in the same way normal pdfTeX would,
give or take; this means that the default font is Computer Modern,
which essentially doesn't support unicode at all.

Since people need to be loading all sorts of different fonts
depending on the languages they're typesetting in, I don't think this
is a particularly big problem.

Will