[XeTeX] XeTeX 1.0 - request for comments

=?GB2312?Q?Pavel_Stra=A8=BE=A8=A2k?= stranak at ufal.ms.mff.cuni.cz
Thu Oct 20 00:31:54 CEST 2005

On 20.10.2005, at 0:11, Jonathan Kew wrote:

>> In adition to different quotation marks, in dividing words like
>> propan-butan the hyphen can (and should) be typed on the end of line
>> 1 as well as on the begining of line 2.
>
> Would this be true whenever there is a hyphen in the original source
> text, and you break the line there? If so, I imagine it's done by
> making hyphen an active character that expands to
> \discretionary{-}{-}{-} or something like that. This is no different
> under XeTeX; the same mechanisms should still work.

I am not sure I understand correctly. It should happen in the cases,
where you use hyphen to connect the parts of a composite. In other
words: anywhere one needs to type the hyphen even in the middle of the
line (hyphen is called "conecteme" in our typographic terminology in
these cases). It should not happen in the cases where hyphen is used to
really hyphenate words (hyphen is called "divis" here).

Pavel