[XeTeX] XeTeX 1.0 - request for comments

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Oct 20 00:47:17 CEST 2005

On 19 Oct 2005, at 11:31 pm, Pavel Straňák wrote:

> On 20.10.2005, at 0:11, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>

>>> In adition to different quotation marks, in dividing words like
>>> propan-butan the hyphen can (and should) be typed on the end of
>>> line 1 as well as on the begining of line 2.
>>>

>> Would this be true whenever there is a hyphen in the original
>> source text, and you break the line there? If so, I imagine it's
>> done by making hyphen an active character that expands to
>> \discretionary{-}{-}{-} or something like that. This is no
>> different under XeTeX; the same mechanisms should still work.
>>

> I am not sure I understand correctly. It should happen in the
> cases, where you use hyphen to connect the parts of a composite. In
> other words: anywhere one needs to type the hyphen even in the
> middle of the line (hyphen is called "conecteme" in our typographic
> terminology in these cases). It should not happen in the cases
> where hyphen is used to really hyphenate words (hyphen is called
> "divis" here).

And how do you type these two different things, coneceme and divis,
when using CsLaTeX?

I think that whatever convention is used there could work equally
well under XeTeX, using the same or very similar macros; you just
need to separate these out from the font-encoding stuff that is no
longer needed.

Sorry, I don't know enough about the Czech setup to give more
specifics of how you'd do this.

Jonathan