[XeTeX] support for variation & multiple master fonts

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Wed Dec 21 03:10:39 CET 2005

On 21/12/2005, at 9:36 , Jonathan Kew wrote:

> Anyhow, at this time I'd be interested to know whether people care
> much about var/MM support, in particular on older OS versions --
> how many people will be impacted, and how badly, if it becomes a
> 10.4-only feature in XeTeX?

I'm running Tiger, and I agree that they're fun to play with, but
there's no real future in either MM (which is explicitly dead!) or
AAT (which shows no sign of life).

[aside]
> But as far as I understand it, newer OpenType versions like Minion
> Pro are no longer MM; instead, you get a range of separate
> instances. (Right? I don't have a current Adobe collection to check
> this stuff!)

Yep; as inelegant a solution as it is to have the multitude of
different font files, this is what they're doing. The instances
themselves are actually developed internally at Adobe using MM fonts,
if that makes any sense.

Will