[XeTeX] support for variation & multiple master fonts

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Dec 21 11:30:46 CET 2005

Am 21.12.2005 um 00:06 schrieb Jonathan Kew:

> How many of you care about support for AAT variation fonts (like
> Skia), and/or Multiple Master fonts (MinionMM, MyriadMM, etc.), and at
> the same time are *not* running Tiger (10.4.x)?

I have no MM fonts. And from next year on I'll surely be on Tiger, so I
don't care that much about both losses. I know that George Williams'
FontForge supports in some way AAT. In case FF is able to integrate
glyph variants into a font I would keep AAT support, being a valuable
feature. And I think that clever users would like to keep rich fonts
even if Apple might drop them ...

Could it work to release a final version of XeTeX with MultiMaster and
AAT support for pre-Tiger systems? The developing release would only
work on post-Panther systems then. Or do you expect that too many bugs
could be found in the abandoned branch? (There is something similiar
happening in another place: in GNU Emacs most development happens in a
heavily outdated, patchy, and unnecessarily complicated non-Unicode
branch which will even lead to a new release of GNU Emacs 22, while the
more useful Unicode Emacs just takes over most patches and developments
and might be released on the next Olympic summer games [2008].)

One late wish for XeTeX 1.0: could you 'unify' the command line
interfaces of xetex and xdv2pdf to accept the same arguments and
options, be more consistent? 'xetex --help' gives a long help, 'xdv2pdf
--help' complains: 'xdv2pdf: invalid option -- -.' Then a short 'usage'
message follows, while xetex writes about an 'Usage.'

--
Greetings

   Pete

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they
start selling vacuum cleaners.