[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.99 released

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Dec 7 14:20:15 CET 2005

On 6 Dec 2005, at 10:25 pm, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 6 Dec 2005, at 7:51 pm, Stephen Moye wrote:
>> ? ! You can't use `\XeTeXcharglyph' in restricted horizontal mode.
>> l.5  \setbox0=\hbox{\XeTeXglyph\XeTeXcharglyph
>>                                               `g }
>> ?
>
> ...though this one seems misleading; I should look into this.

On further reflection, this isn't as badly wrong as I thought (though
it still seems confusing). You'll actually get the same error message
if you use an AAT or OT font as follows:

   \font\x="Hoefler Text" at 10pt \x
   \hbox{\XeTeXcharglyph`g}

because \XeTeXcharglyph is in effect a read-only numeric value, not
an actual printable "thing" that you can put into a box. If you
wanted to put the glyph number in the box, you should say:

   \hbox{\number\XeTeXcharglyph`g}

and if you want to print the glyph, you say (as in the original
example):

   \hbox{\XeTeXglyph\XeTeXcharglyph`g}

But as \XeTeXglyph was ignored as invalid in TFM fonts, you're left
trying to use \XeTeXcharglyph as part of a horizontal list rather
than as a numeric value, and hence the (somewhat surprising) error
message.