[Tugindia] Creating JPG/JPEG

Kapil Hari Paranjape tugindia@tug.org
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 11:32:36 +0530

On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 10:49:46AM +0530, Amitabh Trehan wrote:
> What  about using gimp for all this work ? Seems pretty good.

IMHO gimp is good for creating graphics, but I am not so sure about
its engine for converting graphics into different formats.

>  I also need an opinion on this:  I converted a gif chart (the IPA chart) to
> eps (via gimp) and used it in my tex flle, it gets converted to a 3.5M eps
> file and the laser printer I have is refusing to print it (Memory ?)

This is the kind of problem that I had in mind above. Many tools (of
which both gimp and imagemagick are examples) will construct large ps
files when you do graphics conversions in the "obvious" way. It is
important to figure out the correct parameters (RTFM) so that the PS
file you create is appropriate for printing or screen viewing or
faxing as per your need. The leanest files are generally produced
using netpbm but you do need to RTFM to use those tools.

>  Also, do eps files get incorporated into your pdf document via pdflatex?
> If not, what are the options?

This has been discussed here and elsewhere. Your options are:
(1) use epstopdf or other tool to convert to pdf.
(2) Do not convert to eps if your file is not an eps file to begin
    with.

For example, in your case you can actually embed gif files in PDF
directly.

Kapil.