[tldistro] Help with Arch Linux and tlmgr.pl

Agustin Romero agustin423 at icloud.com
Mon Dec 26 05:49:21 CET 2022

Hello,Name's Agustin. This is my first discussion on tldistro so I apologize if anything is naive. I'm interested in correctly installing the script tlmgr.pl into the OS Arch Linux, because it's quite powerful and supports more packages than the Arch package manager, pacman. Arch uses essentially this bash script to install the "core" TeX Live functionality, https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-packages/blob/packages/texlive-core/trunk/PKGBUILD. Now supposing that this script is run and I call tlmgr.pl update, we arrive at this error,$ /usr/share/texmf-dist/scripts/texlive/tlmgr.pl update/usr/bin/tlmgr: open(/usr/share/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb) failed: No such file or directory at /usr/share/tlpkg/TeXLive/TLPDB.pm line 387.which is obvious, because if you look at the install script, it seems that no texlive.tlpdb is ever installed into the OS filesystem. Alternatively the user tlpdb can be easily initialized using$ /usr/share/texmf-dist/scripts/texlive/tlmgr.pl --usermode init-usertreetlmgr: user mode database already set up intlmgr:   /home/user1/texmf/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdbtlmgr: not overwriting it.where I already have a working copy installed. My question is, what's the correct way to install the system's tlpdb? If it is in the texlive sources, could you point me to the file? If it can be created using tlmgr, what command should I use? Hopefully once this file is installed tlmgr will be functional. Feel free to point me to any documentation. Thanks for reading.Agustin