[tldistro] extra man pages for context

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Mar 27 22:35:42 CET 2013

Distro folks - for the upcoming TeX Live 2013 (we are doing test builds
of the sources now, the usual first step), Hans Hagen has produced man
pages for the ConTeXt tools.  That is great, but, as is his wont :), he
actually made a much more extensive collection than previously existed.
I want to get your opinions on what should be done with them.

In addition to man pages for the normal user executables, there are now
man pages for "subtools" invoked through his mtxrun wrapper.  One
example of about 30 similar cases: mtx-babel.man, which describes the
program invoked through mtxrun --script babel.

The question is, should mtx-babel.man and its ilk be installed in
section 1, or some other section (7?), or not at all (i.e., just left in
the TL doc tree)?

As far as precedents go ...I know that git has man1 pages like
git-pull(1) for subcommands, but I also have the impression that was an
artifact resulting from git initially being implemented with many git-*
executables instead of subcommands.  svn, cvs, etc., man pages aren't
like that.

I don't have a strong opinion myself about where to put them.  I mainly
don't want to do something that will be at odds with your existing man
page conventions.

Thanks,
karl