[tldistro] TeX Live is now in the Cygwin distro

Ken Brown kbrow1i at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 16:57:04 CET 2012

On 3/9/2012 5:48 PM, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Fr, 09 Mär 2012, Ken Brown wrote:
>> I'm not familiar with the multi-version of updmap.  Can you tell me what
>> it is in a few words?  Or is it documented yet?
>
> In short words, it reads *all* the updmap.cfg files it finds. Then
> layers them on top of each other, so that yo can disable  former entries
> in later (more important) updmap.cfg files.

Thanks for the information.  I have another question.  Is it feasible
for a distro to make use of tlmgr.pl for certain tasks?  Here's a
specific example that just came up, but there may well be others.

Suppose we install a package that has an "AddHyphen" command.  I gather
from looking at tlmgr.pl that there should be a postinstall step that
regenerates various language data and then runs fmtutil.  I wonder if we
could call "tlmgr.pl generate language" to handle the first step.  Are
there pitfalls here?

I'd be interested in knowing how other distros deal with this.

Thanks.

Ken