[tldistro] Experimental mapping of texlive packages to rpm packages

pcpa at mandriva.com.br pcpa at mandriva.com.br
Thu Nov 3 00:49:15 CET 2011

> On Sa, 29 Okt 2011, pcpa at mandriva.com.br wrote:
>> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/systems/texlive/tlnet/archive
>>
>> as source of tarballs, and split them using the pattern used by
>> texlive, and, use tlpkg metadata to create the rpm dependency
>> information.
>
> THis is what I am currently doing in Debian (in preparation).

  Do you have some prototype, or more specifically, what I have interest
is in, how do you manage the config files updates and ls-R.

  I did some changes to the current way I plan to do it. Mainly
because I do want to depend as few as possible from external tools,
or metadata not "encoded" in the package itself, but sometimes
it must be done.

  For mktexlsr call, I am using a pre and a post script, that
use a counter in a file, so that, if several packages are installed
in the same "transaction", it runs mktexlsr only once.

  The same approach is used for mtxrun and generation of config
files.

  For config files, initially I was planning to do a perl or sed
inplace edit of the file, but than could become tricky, because
new formats, maps, hyphen, etc could be added in newer packages,
and updating the config file would be too complex. So, now it
uses the an approach like the mktexlsr above, but with packages
installing files in a "config.d" directory, and regenerating
the files somewhat like the same way install-tl does, just that
in that case, not using the texlive perl modules, e.g.:

$ cat /usr/share/tlpkg/Mandriva/fmtutil.cnf.d/aleph
aleph aleph \- \*aleph.ini
lamed aleph language.dat \*lambda.ini

$ cat /usr/share/tlpkg/Mandriva/updmap.cfg.d/adfsymbols
Map ArrowsADF.map
Map BulletsADF.map

$ cat /usr/share/tlpkg/Mandriva/language.dat.d/dehyph-exptl
% from dehyph-exptl:
german-x-2011-07-01 dehypht-x-2011-07-01.tex
=german-x-latest
ngerman-x-2011-07-01 dehyphn-x-2011-07-01.tex
=ngerman-x-latest

  But still a work in progress.

  Another question, how do you plan to manage updates? I did
initial work not using the "revision" metadata in the tlpobj
files, but probably the best approach to automate some tool
do know when there are updates. And my current plan before
actually starting using the new approach is to write some
script to handle it, so that, from time to time can check
what has been updated.

> Best wishes
>
> Norbert
> Norbert Preining            preining@{jaist.ac.jp, logic.at, debian.org}
> JAIST, Japan                                 TeX Live & Debian Developer
> DSA: 0x09C5B094   fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76  A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094
> `You ARE Zaphod Beeblebrox?'
> but don't shout it out or they'll all
> want one.'
> `THE Zaphod Beeblebrox?'
> `No, just A Zaphod Bebblebrox, didn't you hear I come in
> six packs?'
> I just heard on the sub-ether
> radio report. It said you were dead...'
> `Yeah, that's right, I just haven't stopped moving yet.'
>                  --- Zaphod and the Guide's receptionist.
>                  --- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Thanks,
Paulo