[tlbuild] CMake

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sun Dec 23 08:10:05 CET 2018

Hi Mojca,

as one who has recently written a autoconf/automake based system, which
is just plain incompatible with how github releases work, and then also
built a meson system, I agree with your feeling, and myself I would be
happy to see something different.

BUT ... Karl is completely right
- many different packages that needs inclusion
  do you want to write meson/cmake for all the libs/progs etc that are
  actually developed outside of TL and mostly come with auto* build
  systems?
- man power
  I think if someone starts a meson based system that would be great,
  and it could be included in the TL sources without interference of
  file names. ANyone having the time, please go ahead. But I doubt.
- old systems
  esp meson, but also cmake are simply a PITA to get on older systems

So as much as I would like to see a more simple build system, I think
for now auto* is still the best/stable way to go.

But, if someone wants to work on a cmake or meson system that does not
interfere with the current status, (s)he is heartly welcome I would say.

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer