[tlbuild] missing libiconv when compiling xdvik on FreeBSD

Johannes Hielscher jhielscher at posteo.de
Mon Apr 2 21:36:12 CEST 2018

Am Mon, 2 Apr 2018 19:37:34 +0200
schrieb Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com>:

> On 2 April 2018 at 19:28, Johannes Hielscher wrote:
> >
> > just to make things more complicated: my build on FreeBSD 11.1 does
> > still work well, produces a working xdvi binary, and passes all
> > tests.
> >
> > I exported TL_COMPILER_GFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include"
>
> It's not more complicated. In the light of what I wrote earlier this
> **explains exactly** why the build worked for you and not for me (you
> didn't tell that you used this setting earlier).

I didn't tell since I didn't use it!

I only added the flag today, when clang needed to locate the third-party
X11 and fontconfig dependencies under /usr/local. But then, it is clear
why my earlier build succeeded: it didn't build xdvi at all (thanks to
--without-x).

> When xdvi tests for whether -liconv is needed, your setup returns
> true, while mine does not. The linking then works for you, but doesn't
> for me because -I/usr/local/include is needed by another dependency
> (most likely X11) and when that flag is added later in the build
> process, it changes the behaviour of libiconv and breaks for me.

Okay, that sounds credible (but nasty). Your log:
checking for iconv.h... yes
checking for library containing iconv... none required

My log:
checking for iconv.h... yes
checking for library containing iconv... no

It just reads strange that libxdvi.a incorporates util.o, which is
compiled with -I/usr/local/include (l. 37252), but linking of xdvi-bin
with -L/usr/local/lib then fails.

> I apparently did need to have libiconv installed on the system due to
> other dependencies without which the TeX Live would probably not
> compile at all (I use the VM just for compiling TeX Live, but I also
> installed svn, git, vim etc. I didn't install anything else.)
pkg info -r converters/libiconv
libiconv-1.14_11:
        rsync-3.1.2_7
        glib-2.50.2_6,1 (which is needed by editors/vim)