[tlbuild] missing libiconv when compiling xdvik on FreeBSD

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 19:37:34 CEST 2018

On 2 April 2018 at 19:28, Johannes Hielscher wrote:

> just to make things more complicated: my build on FreeBSD 11.1 does
> still work well, produces a working xdvi binary, and passes all tests.
>
> I exported TL_COMPILER_GFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include"

It's not more complicated. In the light of what I wrote earlier this
**explains exactly** why the build worked for you and not for me (you
didn't tell that you used this setting earlier).

When xdvi tests for whether -liconv is needed, your setup returns
true, while mine does not. The linking then works for you, but doesn't
for me because -I/usr/local/include is needed by another dependency
(most likely X11) and when that flag is added later in the build
process, it changes the behaviour of libiconv and breaks for me.

I apparently did need to have libiconv installed on the system due to
other dependencies without which the TeX Live would probably not
compile at all (I use the VM just for compiling TeX Live, but I also
installed svn, git, vim etc. I didn't install anything else.)