[tlbuild] Bug in kpse-icu-flags.m4: a long-standing OpenBSD build failure

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Apr 25 00:24:03 CEST 2017

Mojca,

    I would like to add (read as: hardcode) "-lpthread" to ICU_LIBS.

I have never had the need to look deeply into the ICU maze which Peter
implementeds, so I don't have a good answer off the top of my head. I
agree about the need for a fix, but I don't have it yet, and I have to
work first on getting the TL doc to the translators, etc.

Looking at kpse-icuflags.m4, kpse-common.m4, and bibtex-x/Makefile[.am],
unfortunately I do not see any variable available for
extra-user-supplied-libraries after ICU_LIBS.

Therefore all I can suggest is the ugly workaround of creating a simple
shell script to relink the programs after the build finishes (fails).

cd .../Work/tex-k/bibtex-x
/bin/sh ./libtool  --tag=CXX   --mode=link g++  -g   -o bibtexu \
  ... whole line copied from build.log ... -lpthread
cd ...
etc.

karl