[tlbuild] dvisvgm link errors when building with --with-system-libgs

Paul Vojta vojta at math.berkeley.edu
Sat Mar 11 04:22:07 CET 2017

On Sat, Mar 04, 2017 at 10:47:34PM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
> Hi Paul - if you're building within TL, I removed all the libgs
> configure options, as far as I know, so --with[out]-system-libgs should
> have no effect. If it is anyway, I can't explain why, can you check into
> it further? (See lines 56ff. of texk/dvisvgm/configure.acl)

You're right.  It was probably the --disable-native-texlive-build
option.  Sorry not to have mentioned that.

> Instead, in TL, libgs is (supposed to be) forced to be loaded at runtime
> with libdl, and not included at link time. Any other method creates a
> binary that is not likely to work on any system other than the
> builder's.
>
> For any other case, it seems better to me to build Martin's original
> source (ctan.org/pkg/dvisvgm), which does try to link against libgs on
> the current system, than what is in TL, and issues should go to him :).
> That logic is texk/dvisvgm/dvisvgm-src/configure.ac, lines
> 68ff. (That configure file is not used at all in TL.)

I have attached a patch to texk/dvisvgm/configure.ac.

With the patch applied, dvisvgm will successfully build (at least on
my system, and probably most others) when --disable-native-texlive-build
is used, but it doesn't change anything when --disable-native-texlive-build
is not used.  Without the patch, I expect that the dvisvgm build
(with --disable-native-texlive-build) will fail on all platforms that have
a reasonably recent libgs installed.

So I hope that you will apply this patch to texlive.

Paul